Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Wedded Bliss Wednesdays


Linking up with Kay and Allie

If you could give one piece of advice to any married (or soon to be married) couple, what would it be?
The obvious one is to communicate, but that's probably the most common answer (it's THAT important). My husband wants to meet my needs, and me his, but unless we tell each other what they are they most likely are not going to get met since neither of us are mind readers! Another good piece of advice is to always give each other your best. Husbands go all day giving their employees, coworkers, clients, friends, etc their best, and come home wiped out.  Same for wives - we give our jobs or our kids our best all day and feel there's nothing left for our husbands. Don't do this!! When you were dating you always gave each other your best, so keep that up. Make a conscious decision to do this and you will have a MUCH better relationship - trust me!!

What is an absolute MUST for any marriage/relationship?
To be best friends and have fun together. My husband and I do get into fights, but at the end of the day (or end of the fight which is sometimes more than a day haha) it boils down to us being each others absolute best friends. We like to go on walks every night and we catch up on each other's days, our goals, weekend plans, and just life in general. John is my best friend beyond a shadow of a doubt.

What is the #1 no-no in a marriage?
I would have to say cheating. That is the ultimate form of breaking your spouses' trust, and once that trust is gone it's extremely hard if not impossible to gain it back. Just don't do it!! We all have different definitions of "cheating" - emotional cheating? flirting? hanging out with opposite sex one on one? strip clubs? physical cheating only? - discuss these boundaries with your partner and be respectful to each other's wishes. *btw for me and John all of the above would not be ok!

What is the biggest lesson you have learned from marriage?
That some days it's a LOT harder than I expected, but most days it's better than I ever could have imagined. I guess I never thought marriage could be so fun and loving. It's the little things - yesterday we got a chocolate dipped cone from McDonald's (as always), walked Camdyn around with my mom, and watched a movie - simple, yet loving and the best part of all of this was having John by my side. I can't imagine not sharing my life with him.  Love you, John! *assuming you're reading this, haha :)

4 comments:

Kay said...

This is so sweet! I agree that it is so important to save part of yourself for you spouse at the end of the day. Yes, we are all tired, but saving up a bit of your love, time, and energy to actively participate in your marriage is SO important! Thanks for linking up with us :)

Mis En Place said...

Loved reading your post! I feel like I should go change my "no-no" answer to cheating--duh! Obviously that's the worst one.

New follower :)

Liz said...

I agree that being friends is the most important thing! I wish I had put that!!

Janna Renee said...

These are very good lessons! I love giving marital advice, and more importantly love advice. Too many people don't even know what real love is anymore. Even true love needs communication and to remember to put each other at the top of our priority lists ;)