Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Thai Chicken Pitas

So I swore to myself after yesterday's picture-less post that I would include pictures in all posts going forward.  Unfortunately, my delicious dinner was devoured before I remembered to take out the camera.  Boo.

Anyways, tonight for dinner I made Thai Chicken Pitas.  My mom used to make these growing up, so I asked her for the recipe and made them myself.  If you're looking for something quick, easy, and cheap (yet still incredibly delicious), give these a try.

Ingredients
  • Pita bread (I use whole wheat)
  • 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
  • 1/2 bag broccoli slaw (in veggie section next to the Dole pre-made salads)
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 3 tbsp. soy sauce
  • 3 tbsp. water
  • Salt & pepper

Directions
  1. Put chicken in a pan and cook entirely on med/high or high (I put a splash of olive oil in there too, but you don't have to)
  2. While chicken is cooking, combine peanut butter, sugar, soy sauce, and water in a small pot and cook on low (I add a bit more water and soy sauce as I prefer my sauce a little runnier, actually, I don't even measure any of the said ingredients haha and it always turns out great!)
  3. Once chicken is cooked, use two forks to shred it while still in pan
  4. Add the broccoli slaw and continue cooking until slaw is hot.  Add salt and pepper to taste
  5. Break pitas in half and fill with chicken/slaw mixture and then add the peanut butter sauce to the inside of the pita as well
Voila!  Seriously, this meal is one of John and I's all-time favorites and it took me about ten minutes to whip up.  Thanks, mom!

No comments: