Thursday, September 6, 2012

Taking care of business / work

I know a lot of you are interested in what I do for a living (ok, maybe not...but I'm going to tell you anyways).  

I have a degree in finance and worked as a finance counselor before having Camdyn.  Though I liked the people I worked with, working FT isn't in the cards for me (right now).  

Right after Camdyn was born, I got an amazing opportunity to write articles for SheKnows - a website of fashion, entertainment, food, parenting, pets, home decor, style, and more.  It's updated hourly.  I write for the home, living, and pet sections (adding food soon!).  It's funny, my whole life I've wondered about my "purpose" and always thought I'd be a mom and wife and that was my role.  I always looked at jobs as simply a way to make money.  I didn't think I'd ever find something I was actually passionate about.  Low and behold - I did.  I absolutely love writing (trust me, I wouldn't have this blog if I didn't).  I feel confident that this is where I'm supposed to be, and that, my friends, is a wonderful feeling.

Here's a few articles I've written if you'd like to take a peak:

The hidden costs of home buying

How to invest your money

Top 5 must-read craft blogs

How to make money blogging

I don't want to bore you with all of them, but if you click my name on one of the links it will take you to all the articles I've written thus far.

So what does a day in the life look like for me?

Well I wake up to this:


around 6:30am (and 1:00am, and sometimes 4:00am haha).  I feed her and play with her for a few hours.  She typically takes a morning nap, and that's when I'll start either writing or brainstorming topics.  Lunch is normally spent at Starbucks with my mom or sister, followed by more hanging out with Cami. She normally naps for 2-3 hours in the afternoon.  This is when I plan on getting my articles done.  When John gets home (between 5 and 7), we hang out, have dinner, and play with Cami.  Whatever's left for me to finish I do after Camdyn goes to bed.  

Since my job is PT right now, every day doesn't look quite like that.  Some days I don't have work to do, so I'll spend them cooking, cleaning, running errands, etc.  It's crazy how fast my days go by even though I stay home!

Since finance is my major, I've decided to start a weekly finance column.  I need to narrow it down a bit - so I'm asking your opinions!  What is something you would want to read, weekly, when it comes to money and finances?  Budget tips?  Ways to save?  Family finances?  Finances for those "getting started" in the working world? Etc.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!  I know I personally like to read about investing, but I don't think most people do...which is why I'm asking you!

4 comments:

Kate @ Daffodils said...

I wish I could get paid to write! What an amazing oppurtunity. Your baby is so cute!

Tarabelle said...

I have a BA in English and just finished a continued ed course on article writing; i would love to do what you do, its my dream. Any tips on how to get in the business? I would love any help!

Tara

http://tarabelle-adropofink.blogspot.com/

Amanda said...

Awesome! I love that you shared about this on the blog :) It makes me especially happy that you like it so much! As for ideas, maybe something relating to the working world? Or even budgeting as a mom? Something that YOU relate to from personal experience...

Janna Renee said...

I think you have my ideal life...I LOVE budgeting and writing. I can't tell you how to focus, because I love all things finance. I've learned a lot in the past few years, but always want to learn more!