Monday, September 24, 2012

What I've learned about formula

As most of you know, Camdyn is now a formula-only baby.  I breastfed solely for the first two months, then slowly started incorporating formula.  By 3 1/2 months, she was weaned from breast milk completely.

Knowing what I know now, for our next baby I am going to try and breastfeed longer. Formula is SO expensive, and breast milk is so much better for the baby.

I wanted to give a breakdown of my experience with formula so far:

  • Similac - $25 for 23 oz.  Camdyn was a little gassy with this, but overall she liked it.  
  • Enfamil - $24 for 23 oz.  This is our favorite.  No fussiness, no gas.  She takes this very well and has only had a positive reaction to this.  I discovered a second hand store that sells 23 oz for $15, brand new of course.  GREAT deal.  
  • Parents Choice - $14 for 23 oz.  I tried this before finding my discounted Enfamil.  It said it was comparable to Similac, so I figured I'd give it a try to see if she liked it.  She did NOT.  It gave her horrible cramps and gas.  She would eat it (I've come to the realization that she'll eat anything), but would cry for a long time afterwards in pain.  Needless to say, after a few bottles I threw it out.
Parent's Choice - Advantage Infant Powder Formula, 23.2oz
  • Simply Right - $16 for 48 oz.  Yup, that's right.  This is half the price of the discounted Enfamil for double the amount.  It's the Sam's Club brand of Enfamil, essentially.  I compared ingredients and vitamins, and it looks exactly the same as Enfamil.  I haven't tried this yet - but will definitely provide an update after a few days of her eating this.  To me, it was worth the investment.  If she loves it and reacts well to it, than I'm looking at hundreds of dollars being saved.  If not?  I'll take the loss and go back to Enfamil.  No big deal.

Any moms out there have a favorite brand of formula?  Please share your thoughts in the comments below!  Would love to hear from you!

2 comments:

katie ridings said...

I'm doing half and half but its turning into breast feeding twice a day, im really going to kick it in to gear when i have another child one day. from day one i didnt have enough colostrum so they started to use formula with him, and then told me to do it from the hospital and now its just turning in to more and more formula. We are using gerber good start and we go to a consignment store to get it as well. at first he seemed REALLY gassy and uncomfortable but then when i started giving him less breastmilk and as his digestive system got better he hasnt been as bad so idk if it was the formula or me. But I might end up switching eventually, he looks like he is in SO much pain some times.

Megan B.B. said...

Good to know! :)
Vivien decided about 5 days ago that she didn't want to breast feed anymore, so right now I am using the rest of my frozen stash, and formula. I'm using similac, because I had gotten a ton of it from the hospital, and never used it because I exclusively breast fed her for 11 months. Hopefully within the next few weeks, I'll wean her off of formula an onto whole milk. :)